Interesting Facts About the Church that Jesus Built
When is it first mentioned?
It is first mentioned when Jesus promised: "upon this rock I will build My church" (Matt. 16:18). The first account of people being added to the church is Acts 2:47.
What is the Church?
The Church is an organism made up of members, all of who have been saved (Acts 2:47). It is a spiritual kingdom made up of subjects of Jesus, the King (Heb.12:28). It is the family of God on earth at this time, the Israel of God (Gal.6:16).
What is the relationship of Jesus to the Church?
- He promised to build the church (Matt. 16:18)
- He founded the church (I Cor. 3:11, Eph. 2:20)
- He is the head of the church (Eph. 1:20-22)
- He loves the church and gave Himself for her (Eph. 5:25)
- He is the Savior of the church (Eph. 5:23)
- He will never leave you (Matt. 28:18-20)
- He is coming back for us (1 Thess. 4:13-18)
How Many Congregations Were There?
There were congregations in many cities: Jerusalem, Corinth, Phillippi, Rome (Acts 2:47, I Cor. 1:2, etc). The total number of congregations is simply not stated. These congregations made up the one holy body, the one church Jesus promised (Matt. 16:18, Eph. 4:5). The Bible discourages division (I Cor. 1:10), and Jesus prayed for the unity among His disciples (John 17:21).